Japanese Division Enrolment Process
Thank you for your interest in applying for the Japanese Division of the Sydney Japanese International School.
The Enrolment Process
Submit the following required documents by e-mail or mail.
- Read the Enrolment Terms and Conditions and fill out the Online Application Form. You can choose to proceed in English or Japanese. Please select the appropriate language at the top right-hand corner of the application page by clicking on the language button.
- Complete payment of the application fee for registration to the waiting list. Await notification for an assessment.
- Have an assessment with the Principal.
- Following a successful assessment, enrolment forms and Conditions of Entry will be sent. All nominated fees need to be paid at this time.
Please prepare the following documents from the school at which your child is currently enrolled:
- Student registration certificate
- Student guidance report
- School text book benefits report for school students
- Medical examination report
- Dental examination report
Other Documents Necessary for Admission
If you are coming from Japan, please ensure you receive textbooks from the Japan Overseas Education Services before coming to Australia. In order to receive the benefit, it is necessary to submit the ‘School Textbooks Benefit Report for School Students’ to Japan Overseas Education Services.
Contact address for the Overseas Child Education Promotion Foundation
TEL: 03-4330-1341 FAX: 03-4330-1355
Tokyo Atago 1-3-4 Minato-ku Tokyo Atago Toyo Building 6F
Kansai Branch Office
TEL: 06-6344-4318 FAX: 06-6344-4328
3-4-5 Umeda Kita-ku, Osaka-shi
Mainichi Newspaper Building 3rd Floor
The reception hours are from Monday to Friday from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
There are a few legal conditions that prospective students must meet in order to be eligible for enrolment at SJIS.
Children who have Japanese citizenship are eligible to enrol in the SJIS Japanese Division (Japanese Curriculum). If students/parents hold other countries’ citizenship (other than Australian), and have been taking Japanese education, they may also be eligible to enrol in the Japanese Division. This is on a per case basis and the student will need to meet certain entry requirements before any offer of enrolment is granted.
ALL Parents are required to have a visa to stay in Australia. Families are eligible for enrolment if they hold Australian citizenship, permanent residency, business visa, researcher visa, or student visas. Families on tourist visas are not eligible for enrolment.
About the assessment
We conduct a simple assessment with the Principal of the Japanese Division. This assessment will observe the language skills and current study ability of the child. It is approximately 15 minutes in duration and there will be a Q&A opportunity for parents after the assessment is complete.
For any new students entering into the Japanese Division, a school orientation day is conducted prior to the commencement of the new school term.
SJIS offers the opportunity to prospective students to experience a day in the life of a SJIS student through the School’s ‘Experience Day’ program. This is available for any student interested in entering the School from Year 1.
Please contact us to register for an experience day.